4/2/11

The Ultimate Sports Sin

Sports are full of rules, baseball in particular has so many written and unwritten rules they are are impossible to keep track of. In fact, just this week in a Spring Training game, an Orioles batter, who was struggling to make the team swung at a 3-0 pitch in a game where his team was clearly in control. Because this is one of baseball's idiosyncratic rules, it not only infuriated the opposing manager, HIS own manager was ticked off about it. So, just like every other aspect of sports, fans have rules too, and I just broke the cardinal rule, and committed the ultimate sports sin.

I'm from Iowa, so considering that we don't have any major professional sports franchises you are able to select whichever teams you choose. For me, I have always been loyal to the following in this order: everything Iowa Hawkeyes, Pittsburgh Steelers, North Carolina basketball, Kansas City Royals, and the Chicago Bulls. For most of my pre-teen years baseball was my favorite sport, and I loved the Kansas City Royals, especially George Brett. My parents took me to a Monday Night  Baseball game of the Royals vs. Yankees back when ABC was still broadcasting prime time baseball in the summer. As I grew older my love for baseball started to wane and basketball became my favorite sport, but when I paid attention to baseball, it was still always the Royals first. However, as of the opening pitch of the 2011 season, my allegiances no longer lie with the Royals. As of right now, when asked what my favorite baseball team is, the answer is, the Minnesota Twins.

I came to this decision for a few different reasons:
  • The Royals have not had a playoff appearance since 1985, the year I attended Monday Night Baseball, and they won the World Series. Now, that's the most egregious of all of my reasons, because that's just straight hopping off the bandwagon. Part of being a sports fan, is being a fan regardless of the number that shows up in the wins column. That's not the most important of my reasons though.
  • The Royals have not demonstrated a commitment to baseball in 15 years. This season the payroll is $36 million for the entire team. Alex Rodriguez will make $32 million this season all by himself. I'm not looking for the Royals to spend $100 million a year, but would it kill them to spend $65 million?
  • The Twins are an easy team to root for. Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Michael Cuddyer, Jason Kubel, Joe Nathan, these are all good guys, who seem to really respect and enjoy the game. Most of the entire squad is pretty blue collar and play the game hard.
  • The biggest reason of all is, I've lived in Minnesota now for 12 years, and with two small children, I would like them to be able to connect to a local team. Because of that, it HAS to be the Twins. I'll never compromise on my love for the Iowa Hawkeyes and Pittsburgh Steelers, and I hate, hate, hate the Minnesota Vikings and Minnesota Golder Gophers. The Timberwolves are kind of the Royals of the NBA, so the Twins it is. Now, with the new stadium I want to be able to take the family down to the 'ol ballpark, and have a genuine rooting interest in the local 9. Because of that, I'm now a full on Minnesota Twins fan.
Now, I did not come to this decision lightly, and quite frankly I feel a little sleazy abandoning my once favorite team. If nothing else I have almost always remained very loyal to my favorite teams (I did have a weird flirtation with Florida State football in 1993, but I think that was a college thing, you know experimenting and all) but now I must face the realization that I'm a sports traitor, and that is the biggest sports sin a fan can commit. Like all sinners, I must accept my shortcomings, and seek redemption in the arms of Twins fans. I suppose I will always a little nostalgic place in my heart for my first baseball love, but it's now time to move on.

And don't think I don't realize as I've made this change the Kansas City Royals are 2-1, and the Twins are 0-2. I can only hope I haven't cursed my new favorite baseball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment